Thursday, January 3, 2008

Its Not Easy Being A Teacher

Along the years, I've learnt that you only truly understand things when you have the opportunity to experience them yourself. Like how a girl can never understand a guy's pain of 2 years of NS, a student can never understand the work of a teacher.

And it is now, on day 2 of my teaching stint, that I truly sees the efforts put in by school teachers. They slog everyday. And slog they do. Within the cold walls of the staff room, from where students are blinded and oblivious to what is really happening, teachers rush to get things done.

They rush to photocopy notes in time for the next lesson. These notes, many students misplace them.

They rush to get ready the day's presentation slides. These slides, many students look at them with blank stares.

They rush to create the next set of worksheets. These worksheets, many students just copy the answers from their peers.

They rush to prepare students for exams. These exams, many students don't bother about them.

And I am guilty. Guilty of the above and of many many other things that I will not do as a student if time reverses.


I wonder, why they do not build glass doors for the staff room. Glass doors that allows students to see what their teachers do for them. I think the idea's dumb but I can't think of anything else. Can't possibly put webcams in teachers room so that students can access them online real-time right?

I wonder.

I wonder how she is doing now. Hope she returns soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

报应来咯!

sandy said...

"on day 2 of my teaching stint, that I truly sees"..
firstly, "sees" should be "see";
secondly, on my second day of work as an engineer, I had to ride a pickup (like those Banglas) to the shipyard in remote Admiralty Road. Lunch was not the Shenton Way crowd, but packaged food somebody went out to buy. At the end of day, I had to changed out of the greasy overalls to my street clothes, after I had used the compress air line to blow out the fibreglass which had clinged to the overalls. Needless to say, the iron tipped safety shoes were already muddy, and had to be put into a plastic bag to be cleaned before next day's work amidst flying sparks from welding guns and dodging forklift trucks.

The Blabbering Me said...

miss loi: oh well.. nevertheless I still enjoying teaching. Will not trade it for any other jobs at the moment.

sandy: lol my apologies for the see/sees.

good news is that I'm not teaching english. bad news is that I use english to teach.

your 2nd day as a engineer sounds exactly like national service.

remote area-checked
packed lunch-checked
greasy overalls-checked
muddy shoes-checked
guns-checked
trucks-checked

now you know what we guys endure for 2 years....